Friday, August 9, 2013

True music

       
                                    True music

           Once Akbar asked Tansen what was the secret of the unique charm of his music and Tansen said, " Your Highness, what is my music when compared to the music of my my master, Swami Haridas !"
Akbar was very curious to meet the Swami after hearing this.
After much persuasion Akbar was taken to the hermitage of Haridas. Tansen had already warned the Emperor not to expect the Swami to sing except of his own accord. They waited till the mood came to him one day and the Swamy sang. It was not a mere song. In fact it was a revelation. Akbar forgot where he was and he was transported into the realms of sheer beauty, charm, peace and bliss.
After some time when he became normal, turning to Tansen he said, "I never knew that there could be such music. I thought yours was the limit of perfection. But by the side of this music, yours appears lifeless and empty.  How is that having learnt at his feet you have not caught the soul of his art ?"
Tansen smiled and replied, " I can never sing like my great master. It is true that I learnt the art from him. I might have mastered the technicalities of the art, but there is this difference- I sing to your bidding but my great master sings to no man's bidding. He sings when the urge comes from inside and that makes all the difference."

No comments: