Thursday, August 8, 2013

Jealousy

       
                                     Jealousy



There was a poor farmer in a village. He had a small field in which he grew vegetables and hardly made both ends meet. It was his only source of income.
He was of very jealous nature . So, he was not on good terms with any of his neighbours or relatives.
As he was growing old, he found working in the field also very difficult. He did not have bulls for ploughing the field. There was no well or river near by. So for irrigation, he had to depend on rains only.
One day, when the farmer was returning home tired, he met an old man with a white beard. The old man spoke him, " what is the matter ? You look very tired and sad."
The farmer said, " what to tell you, sir ? I am poor and getting old. I am not able to work in the field. Had I got one bull I could have ploughed, sowed and irrigated my field easily."
The old man asked, " If you get one bull, what exactly will you do?"
"  The first thing i will do is to be happy. My field work will become very easy. But where shall I get the bull from? I have no money to buy that", the farmer sighed.
" I will give a bull now. Here, take this bull home. When you reach home send your neighbour to me as well, " the old man said.
The farmer said, " I am very happy that you are giving me a bull. But, why do you want to meet my neighbour ?"
The old man spoke, " Tell your neighbour that he can come here and take two bulls from me."
The words of the old man angered the farmer and he was mad with the feelings of jealousy. He said dryly, " You don't know that my neighbour has everything. If you want to give him two bulls then I won't like any bull from you ."
The old man pulled the bull towards him and spoke to the farmer, " Do you know what your problem is ? It is not poverty but jealousy. Had you been content with what you had got instead of being jealous with your neighbours and relatives, you would have been a better and happy man." After saying this, the old man disappeared into the jungle.
A bull, the farmer had always been praying for was granted but his jealous mind lost it foolishly.

No comments: