Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Officer of Heaven


One day a Tiger was walking through the jungle in search of food. Soon he met a Fox .Even though the Fox looked thin, the Tiger decided to eat him. “Prepare to die, little Fox, for I rule the jungle and I am hungry”.  Fox was clever and said, “You are joking, Brother Tiger, you cannot eat me. I am too important”. “What do you mean important?’’ demanded the hungry Tiger. “ I am an officer of Heaven .I have been appointed to watch over all the animals., that includes you as well, Brother Tiger”.“ You, watch over me? Why would you have to watch over me?” growled the Tiger. “To keep the evil spirits away. Heaven has given me special powers to keep all the jungle animals safe”. “How do I know that you are telling the truth?” asked the skeptical Tiger “you may be playing a trick just to save your skinny bones.” “If you want a demonstration of my power, we have to merely walk through the jungle”, said the Fox. “Very well", said the Tiger, but you must walk in front of me so that I can keep my eyes on you. I know how tricky you are”. “As you wish,” said the Fox with a sly grin. Through the jungle they walked, little Fox in front and the big Tiger closely behind. They soon came upon a small herd of deer. The deer ignored the Fox, but the moment they saw the Tiger, they leaped into the air and fled for their lives. “Hmm”, thought Tiger, “it requires great power to make an entire herd run; perhaps Fox is truly an officer of Heaven.” Just then they met Water Buffalo, one of the largest of the jungle animals. Realizing that Tiger was near, she turned and ran away  leaving a trail of broken trees. The Tiger thought that an officer of Heaven deserves respect. They walked further and saw an elephant. The elephant saw the Fox first and completely ignored him. The Tiger snarled “Elephant does not fear you, little Fox”. Hearing upon the Tiger’s angry growl, the elephant began to panic. He raised his trunk high in the air, trumpeted loudly and ran away. For the first time in his life, Tiger grew afraid and said to the Fox” My friend, truly you are an officer of Heaven and have the powers to keep the evil spirits away. Never would I eat such an important person”. “Heaven is pleased with your wise decision, friend Tiger” said the Fox. Under his breath he muttered," And so am I.” 

      It is the presence of mind that saves one from an unexpected difficult situation. 





No comments: