Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Identity




                                           The Identity


           A river was flowing near the outskirts of a village. Once the ocean, the king of the rivers, asked the river, ‘ Why don’t you come and join me as others do?’ The river replied, ‘Oh king, these villagers depend on me for water. They know the value. So they dip their pots or vessels in my water and carry the water home for drinking, cooking, washing, bathing and other purposes. Since I am their only source of water, they take care not to pollute me. So I also feel that I should serve them and satisfy them more and more. I try to break the big stones hindering for depth and free  flow, so that when the rains come I could store more and more and pure water for their use. If I merge into you, my water will become saline and unfit for any use. Furthermore, I find pleasure at seeing the little birds coming and sitting on the banks to dip their beaks for a few sips of water. The travellers coming this side rest under the shade of the big trees on my bank enjoy the cool breeze and my pure and cool water. I will miss these small pleasures of life if I join you. So I would like to have my own small Identity, and enjoy my life serving the villagers here only.’

What a true statement ! The urge to serve others is found in every created thing in the world. Somewhere it is obvious, somewhere it is latent. A tree is so useful. It gives out oxygen, gives fruits, shade, wood for furniture and firewood. Cats and dogs as pets are of immense value.
 Nothing whatsoever in the universe can ever give you joy and contentment. You have to bring it to yourself. That is the spirit of service only. Service is always one of the cherished principles of all religions. The spirit of service is the expression of love only. When you do something for the world, the world will definitely take care of you. It is mutual. This is the law of Nature. In serving others, there is happiness to oneself and to others. In giving happiness, one understand the eternal , joyful nature of life. Living becomes meaningful and joyful.
Everyone wants to be useful in the world in his own capacity. Everything has a unique value and everything has a specific role to serve in this world.

When even a small thing finds itself useful to others and others recognize it, the living becomes joyful. When that value is recognized, the tendency to render more and more service to others develops. When a mother knows that her child likes a certain dish, her spirit of service motivates her to explore more and more to make the dish in different ways and delicious and make the child happy. This is the case with everything. Being of service to others is what brings true happiness.
All other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy. As Mahatma Gandhi says,

“ That service is the noblest which is rendered for its own sake.”

Life is a sacred gift. Everyone has a purpose in life and a unique talent to give and share with others. And wnen we blend this unique talent with service to others, we experience the ecstasy  and exultation  of our own being, which is the real and ultimate goal of our life.

3 comments:

Vandana said...

Love the ennobling message amma!

Deepa said...

Beautiful message,Mami! Thank you for sharing. It’s nice to read your posts. Regards, Deepa

Jaya said...

So true. Very well written, Amma.